சனி, 14 செப்டம்பர், 2024

                                                               Colonel Tornado-4

                           Good morning sir ! He is my younger brother Ganesan.He wants to join the Army.Please tell us about Army life.

                 It was sometime in  Aug  1963.I did not tell anyone that I don't like PWD and going to join Army.After all SSB Tests and medical interview,I got the joining instruction to report to "Officers Training School,Poona,on 09 oct 1963.Now ,there is no escape route.So I told about the developments to my eldest brother who was like our Godfather to all my brothers and sisters.Though he was shocked to know about quitting a well paid Engineering Superviser job in PWD,he had consoled himself that brothers are grown up end let them mend their ways.

                   Profession of Soldiering is unheard in our family.We were basically agriculturists.

 Though we belong to a matial race from south ,none from generations had heard about Army.

           So my brother wanted to know about Army life.He was searching for an Ex servicemen and also an astrologer to know about my life expectancy.Finall he came to know about an Ex servicemen  and took me there.A middle aged man was sitting on the front verandah of a thatched hut.My brother introduced himself and  and greeted him.

                 The man asked us to sit down and observed me from top to bottom.Then very casually started his comments. "Army life is good but really tough.The boy appears to be smart and he can do well.But one should be carefull,looking at me,he asked,Thambi ! what Trade did you get ?

                   This word "Trade" I was hearing for the first time.I said that I was not given any Trade.He cautioned me to be carefull as no one likes trade like Barber,Sweeper, Masalchi,cook etc.In the recruiting place  they keep quite,but when you report to training, then only you will come to know. 

                        I was little confused.what is he talking about.I am an Engineering superviser in PWD and I have been selected for training to be commissioned Officer  in the Army.Here are the joining instructions.

               On hearing the word "Officer " the gentleman sitting casually,suddenly got up and saluted me.My brother also was thrilled to see this.The  man perhaps a sepoy who might have come after "Colour " service ( Colour & Reserve service for other ranks. ) was extremely happy to know about my selection and wished me success in life.He assured my brother that "Officers of the Indian Army are born with silver spoons in their mouth".Don't stop him.

                    Later we also discussed with an astrologer and safely returned.

          It was colourfull and adventurous 30 years in uniform.Just to high light my life in unform ,here is a pen picture of me as written by officers who were part of my Command.


 C O-Commanding officer.(also addressed as old man )

B P E T-Battle  Professiency  Endurance Test

Sten-sten gun

                   I took army life like a fish in deep water.I was physically tough and playes almost all games.Daily I was running 20 Km,come back and play one and half an hour Basket ball and then swim 6 Km.

                A stranger having just heard about me,  addressed me as "Colonel Tornado ".


     Crossing Sirhind canal (branch of Sutlej ) at Doraha near Ludiana after Bridging camp.

                         cross country swimming.




கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

கருத்துரையிடுக